Office of Economic Growth
The Office of Economic Growth is tasked with executing the goals and strategies outlined in the adopted Economic Development Plan (EDP) and the Board of County Commissioners adopted Strategic Plan.
In order to accomplish our mission, the Office of Economic Growth delivers its services on four primary activities:
Administration of the Economic Development Plan and the Jobs and Economic Opportunities Trust Fund – The Office of Economic Growth administrative duties include collaboration with various stakeholder groups, negotiation and contract development for public/private partnership opportunities, as well as agreement management for a multitude of incentive and development agreements which include the Penny For Pasco -Jobs and Economic Opportunities Trust Fund.
Target Industry Attraction and Retention – The goal of attracting targeted industries is to strengthen Pasco into the most competitive business environment in the Southeast United States. Through the pursuit of new partnerships, attraction and expansion of targeted businesses, collaboration with the Pasco Economic Development Council, community involvement, grants administration, workforce development and County process improvements we can accomplish this goal.
Redevelopment and Reinvestment Program – The Office of Economic Growth will help catalyze redevelopment through incentives, financing, and regulatory programs. The Office of Economic Growth duties include the management of Pasco’s adopted Brownfield Redevelopment Program, Redevelopment Loan Program, low impact development initiatives, and business improvement programs to address the complex challenges posed by redevelopment in the urbanized and blighted areas of the county.
Information, Advocacy and Referral – The Office of Economic Growth duties include providing information to new and expanding businesses within the County, referrals and providing insight for any potential project or policy economic impacts.
- Our Vision and Mission:
- The Vision of the Office of Economic Growth is to become the premier business environment in the Southeast United States and a leader in an emerging innovative, entrepreneurial economy.
- The Mission of the Office of Economic Growth is to, in accordance with Goal 3.2 of the Pasco County Strategic Plan, “Become a regional leader in collaborative efforts to attract and retain businesses to achieve a strong, stable, complementary business mix, tax base and employment.”
- Our Goals:
- Alignment to Pasco County’s live, work and play philosophy by enhancing the quality of life for our residents and reducing commute times for our local labor force.
- Administration of the Jobs and Economic Opportunities Trust Fund (This is not a goal, but a function)
- Expand and diversify the Pasco County economy and local tax base.
- Create high paying jobs for Pasco County residents, by attracting new qualified target industries and assisting existing businesses expand their operations.
- Expand the diversified and well-trained local workforce through job skills training and placement.
- Initiate and maintain redevelopment and reinvestment programs in underserved or blight prone areas of the County.
- Who we serve:
- Pasco County residents
- Businesses located in or wishing to relocate to Pasco County.
- What we do:
- Negotiate and prepare economic incentive agreements
- Analyze the key economic impacts of each incentive including:
- Cost/benefit or risk/reward
- Payback period
- Community goals
- Prioritize job creation and employee training incentive programs
- Offer businesses low interest capital investment loans as a catalyst for economic growth.
- Offer Ad Valorem Tax Rebates to incentive business capital investments and significant job growth
- Support of the Pasco Economic Development Council’s (PEDC) business initiatives http://pascoedc.com/
- Workforce Connect Program
- Support Pasco County local job skills training and employment programs
- Career Source
- Pasco County Resources:
- “I want to open a business in Pasco County, what is the first thing I should do.”
- Contact the Pasco County Tax Collector’s Office regarding a Business Tax Receipt.
David Engel - Economic Growth Director
Mr. Engel is the Director of the Office of Economic Growth. In this role, David promotes economic development, job creation and targeted industry recruitment and expansion for the Jobs and Economic Opportunities Trust Fund (Penny for Pasco) program. He also provides oversight to our Jobs and Economic Opportunities Committee.
David has over fifteen years experience as a municipal planning director and transit oriented development (TOD) manager. An additional ten years were spent on Wall Street serving as a senior research analyst, in New York City, specializing in public finance, transportation and energy technology systems. Mr. Engel received a Master of City and Regional Planning from Rutgers University and is a graduate of The George Washington University. David is a member of the American Institute Certified Planners.
Steve Smith - Business Analyst
Steve works as a business analyst, streamlining processes, data and reporting for the Office of Economic Growth. He is responsible for preparing financial and economic impact models and studies including monitoring economic and business trends that affect the local economy. Steve ensures compliance of Pasco County economic funding agreements to insure project performance and accurate financial reporting. As Business Analyst, Steve maintains all financial records pertaining to the Penny for Pasco Trust Fund, and project and departmental budgets.
Steve spent 31 years as a retail Store Manager prior to joining Pasco County in 2019. He received a Master of Business Administration from St. Leo University and a Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science from Central Methodist University.
Contact Us | Office of Economic Growth
8731 Citizens Dr. Suite 350 | New Port Richey, FL 34654
David Engel | Economic Growth Director | email@example.com | 727-815-7092 x8274
Steve Smith | Business Analyst | firstname.lastname@example.org | 727-815-7092 x8829
Rich Jenkins | Program Manager | email@example.com | 727-815-7092 x2350
Rebecca Singh | Program Coordinator | firstname.lastname@example.org | 727-815-7092 x7848