Medical Care During Disasters

If your physician has decided that you need to be cared for in a skilled nursing facility, such as a hospital or nursing home during an emergency, he/she needs to arrange pre-admittance prior to evacuation with a specific facility. You must have a copy of the pre-admission letter or prescription from your doctor stating that you are to be taken to a specific in-county hospital or nursing home and arrangements have been made with the facility for admittance.

A copy of your pre-admission letter must be sent with your special needs registration form, and the original must accompany you when you are evacuated. Medicare will only pay for hospitalization claims that are deemed medically necessary and therefore arrangements should be made in advance.

If any costs arise from your admittance, you are responsible for those costs.