Starting Your Business
Pasco County is a vibrant community filled with many opportunities and resources for those with an entrepreneurial spirit. Do you want to start your business in Pasco? We want to see your business thrive.
If you’re thinking about starting a small business, you should start by weighing the pros and cons, so that you can make a wise decision. The resources in this section are essentially a toolkit to guide your decision-making process.
- Is Entrepreneurship For You? What characteristics do you need to be an entrepreneur? What does it take to start-up and succeed? This guide can help you determine if you have what it takes to be an entrepreneur.
- Do Your Market Research Explore how to use market research to find out if there is a market for your idea. To help you build a picture of market conditions and demographics, the U.S. government also provides access to free market data and statistics.
- Find a Mentor or Counselor – Take Advantage of Free Resources As you get started, take advantage of free training and counseling from experienced business owners who’ve already walked in your shoes. Learn about government-sponsored mentorship programs and resources.
- Follow These 10 Steps to Starting a Business Ready to get started? These 10 steps can help you plan, prepare and get our business off the ground.
- Funding Your Business Visit the Small Business Administration and learn about the myths behind the "Free Money" ads and the truth behind government grants for small businesses.
What Should I be doing to start my business?
Businesses must have the proper registrations, licenses, zoning and/or permits before they can legally open for business. Businesses are subject to municipal, county, state, and federal requirements. Regulations vary by industry, so it's very important to understand the licensing rules where your business is located. Below are some steps to help guide you through the process.
- Step 2: Determine the Legal Structure of Your Business
- Step 3: Register Your Business with Florida Sunbiz and the IRS
- Step 4: Are there Federal, State & Local Taxes?
- Step 5: Choose a Business Location - Is the zoning right for your business?
- Step 6: Obtain Business Licenses and Building Permits
- Step 7: Know Your Employer Responsibilities
- Find Local Assistance
You've Decided to Take Step 2 - Creating a Business
Get started by researching State of Florida information for creating a new business and deciding what kind of business structure fits best for your future company's needs. View more details.